Close Menu
NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    What's Hot

    As rubble clears, Colombia begins focusing on recovery after the earthquake | Earthquakes News

    August 17, 2026

    Florida Race to Replace Byron Donalds Features Candidates Who Have Already Run for Congress

    August 17, 2026

    Trump to Travel to Myrtle Beach to Rally for Darline Graham

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • As rubble clears, Colombia begins focusing on recovery after the earthquake | Earthquakes News
    • Florida Race to Replace Byron Donalds Features Candidates Who Have Already Run for Congress
    • Trump to Travel to Myrtle Beach to Rally for Darline Graham
    • Trump’s border wall push is back — and it’s destroying national parks and 200-year-old trees
    • Developing an End-to-End Document Intelligence Pipeline with docTR for OCR, Layout Analysis, KIE, Benchmarking, and Searchable PDFs
    • Snowflake GitHub Actions Flaw Lets Crafted Issues Trigger Command Injection
    • Losses Top $115M In Coldcard Bitcoin Hack: Galaxy Research
    • Scientists uncover the hidden nerve network fueling breast cancer
    • About
      • Our Team
      • Editorial Policy
      • Editorial Independence
      • International Support
    • Trust & Standards
      • AI Usage Policy
      • Conflict of Interest Policy
      • Corrections Policy
      • Ethics Policy
      • Fact-Checking Policy
      • Source Protection
    • Get Involved
      • Guide for Sources
      • Support Independent Journalism
    • Legal
      • Cookie Policy
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms of Use
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Monday, August 17
    • Home
    • World
    • Ai
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Crypto
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • Defense & Security
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Europe
    • More
      • Fact Check
      • Investigations
      • Opinion & Analysis
      • Environment
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Home»World

    Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s bid to overturn E Jean Carroll sex abuse case

    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKBy NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKAugust 17, 2026 World No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    For a second time, the US Supreme Court has declined President Donald Trump’s bid to overturn a federal civil jury verdict that found him liable for sexually abusing and defaming writer E Jean Carroll.

    In June, the top court had already denied a prior attempt by Trump to review the civil case.

    The president has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and argued that the judge who oversaw the civil trial improperly allowed evidence to be presented that affected the jury’s perceptions of him.

    In July, he paid Carroll more than $5m (£3.6m) in damages over her civil claim that Trump sexually assaulted her in the 1990s, and then branded the incident a hoax on social media.

    Following the decision, Carroll thanked her legal team and her supporters for standing behind her in the case.

    “One old lady can not make a difference,” she wrote in a newsletter sent out on Monday. “But when that old lady has a team of the most brilliant attorneys in America, and when that old lady has the support of women around the world, that old lady can do the impossible.”

    Her attorney, Roberta Kaplan, said the jury’s verdict that Donald Trump sexually assaulted and then defamed E. Jean Carroll “is now final and cannot be challenged in any court”.

    The court’s decision was posted as part of an order list on Monday, but offered no explanation for why the justices declined to rehear the case.

    Legal experts said that Trump’s request to reconsider its previous June rejection was an unusual long-shot legal manoeuver, as the court rarely grants similar requests.

    Carroll, a former magazine columnist who is now 82, sued Trump for attacking her in a Manhattan department store dressing room in the mid-1990s.

    The defamation stemmed from a 2022 post on Truth Social in which he denied the claims and said Carroll was “not my type”.

    Trump has yet to comment on the court’s latest decision to not rehear the case.

    In a lengthy Truth Social post following the earlier decision in June, Trump vowed to continue battling what he termed the “weaponisation and lawfare case” and the “ridiculous” claim of defamation.

    “This Case is really against the United States of America, and all it stands for, and should never be allowed to happen to another President, or Candidate to be,” he added.

    In the initial petition to the Supreme Court, Trump’s lawyers argued that Carroll’s lawyers should not have let jurors see now infamous Access Hollywood footage from 2005 in which he used crude language as he discussed groping and kissing women.

    Trump has also asked the Supreme Court to overturn a separate federal civil defamation verdict awarding Carroll $83.3m.

    His lawyers have argued that Trump cannot be sued for comments he made while he was president.

    The top court has not made a decision in that case.

    Abuse bid Carroll case court Jean overturn rejects sex Supreme Trumps
    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORK
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    As rubble clears, Colombia begins focusing on recovery after the earthquake | Earthquakes News

    Trump’s border wall push is back — and it’s destroying national parks and 200-year-old trees

    After the Earthquakes – The New York Times

    Death toll from capsized ferry in Zimbabwe rises to 92 | Transport News

    Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to verify Hamas disarmament before Israel withdraws from Gaza

    Following Court Victory Against Energy Dept., American Oversight Demands USAID Abandon Similar FOIA Purge Policy

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    As rubble clears, Colombia begins focusing on recovery after the earthquake | Earthquakes News

    August 17, 2026

    Florida Race to Replace Byron Donalds Features Candidates Who Have Already Run for Congress

    August 17, 2026

    Trump to Travel to Myrtle Beach to Rally for Darline Graham

    August 17, 2026

    Trump’s border wall push is back — and it’s destroying national parks and 200-year-old trees

    August 17, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Wisconsin’s Democratic primary for governor: a look at the 5 remaining

    July 27, 2026

    UK CO2 storage project that will reuse existing infrastructure secures lease

    July 27, 2026

    Bangladesh shipbreakers push back against stricter environmental standards

    July 27, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    NCIJ Network is an independent digital news platform delivering trusted investigative journalism, European and global news, in-depth analysis, and fact-based reporting with accuracy, transparency, and integrity.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    As rubble clears, Colombia begins focusing on recovery after the earthquake | Earthquakes News

    August 17, 2026

    Florida Race to Replace Byron Donalds Features Candidates Who Have Already Run for Congress

    August 17, 2026

    Trump to Travel to Myrtle Beach to Rally for Darline Graham

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.