Close Menu
NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    What's Hot

    You can change your Messages backgrounds on iPhone – so you never text the wrong person again

    August 22, 2026

    TikTok Agrees to $400 Million Settlement in U.S. Child Privacy Lawsuit

    August 22, 2026

    Bitcoin Price Roars Towards $80,000

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • You can change your Messages backgrounds on iPhone – so you never text the wrong person again
    • TikTok Agrees to $400 Million Settlement in U.S. Child Privacy Lawsuit
    • Bitcoin Price Roars Towards $80,000
    • Multilingual people may have brains up to 13 years younger
    • Pete Brosius brought Penan forest stewardship in Sarawak into court
    • US military newspaper editor voices censorship fears after being fired
    • Badenoch says Reform defectors ‘some of the most dishonest people I have met’ | Kemi Badenoch
    • How to turn your TV in a computer monitor in 3 easy steps – and for free
    • About
      • Our Team
      • Editorial Policy
      • Editorial Independence
      • International Support
    • Trust & Standards
      • AI Usage Policy
      • Conflict of Interest Policy
      • Corrections Policy
      • Ethics Policy
      • Fact-Checking Policy
      • Source Protection
    • Get Involved
      • Guide for Sources
      • Support Independent Journalism
    • Legal
      • Cookie Policy
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms of Use
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
    • World
    • Ai
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Crypto
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • Defense & Security
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Europe
    • More
      • Fact Check
      • Investigations
      • Opinion & Analysis
      • Environment
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Home»World

    Fontainebleau forest near Paris reopens after devastating wildfire

    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKBy NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKAugust 22, 2026 World No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    A hugely popular forest outside Paris reopened to the public Saturday after being partially ravaged by a wildfire in July which forced the closure of the beloved nature oasis.

    Although part of the Fontainebleau forest remains off limits for now, 80 percent of the area has reopened and large groups of walkers, rock climbers and other outdoor enthusiasts flocked to the woods to take advantage of the late summer sun.

    The sprawling forest, around 60 kilometres (40 miles) southeast of the Fernch capital, is a particular magnet for climbers who come from around the world to tackle its famous boulders.

    “It’s a return to the good old habits,” said Gilles Moutounet, a 59-year-old retail executive who spends most of his weekends climbing in Fontainebleau.

    A few metres away, on another boulder, a retired couple dressed in green were also defying the laws of gravity. Stefano Rosso, nearly 70 and accompanied by his wife, has been visiting the forest’s climbing sites for 30 years. The couple travelled here from the Italian city of Turin.

    While holidaying in the region, they made the trip over first thing in the morning. “We’re happy for ourselves, of course, but also for the community and local businesses,” he said.

    Read moreMacron vows to replant Fontainebleau forest after devastating wildfires

    Public access had been restricted since a wildfire last month scorched some 2,000 hectares (5,000 acres) – around 10 percent of the former royal hunting ground.

    Within the roughly 4,000-hectare restricted area – half of which was directly affected by the flames, with the remainder serving as a buffer zone – “firefighters are out every day extinguishing hotspots,” said Benoit Kaplan, a deputy prefect of the Seine-et-Marne department.

    Some 20 percent of the forest is still off limits – made clear by signs reading “Access Prohibited” – with many burnt trees still at risk of falling.

    Forest worker Julien Vabre was only too aware of the dangers of the lifting the closure. “Unfortunately, we know that reopening means campfires,” he told AFP.

    “We know people will walk near the prohibited zone. The temptation to go in out of curiosity, or to take photos, will be strong.”

    Read more‘My heart is on fire’: Fontainebleau forest blaze leaves community reeling

    Kaplan urged visitors to stick to the designated walking paths, with barbecues and smoking prohibited to prevent vegetation severely parched by successive heatwaves from catching fire.

    France has been hit by three heatwaves in quick succession during a historically hot European summer that has seen widespread drought and wildfires fuelled by global warming.

    (FRANCE 24 with AFP)

    devastating Fontainebleau Forest Paris reopens wildfire
    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORK
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Pete Brosius brought Penan forest stewardship in Sarawak into court

    US military newspaper editor voices censorship fears after being fired

    Israeli drone strike on ‘civilian vehicle’ injures several in Syria | Conflict News

    Why child stars like Hayden Panettiere fall into addiction

    Cities Compete in Dizzying ‘Gold Rush’ to Be Japan’s Backup Capital

    Lindsay Clancy suffering ‘command hallucination’ when she killed children, court hears

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    You can change your Messages backgrounds on iPhone – so you never text the wrong person again

    August 22, 2026

    TikTok Agrees to $400 Million Settlement in U.S. Child Privacy Lawsuit

    August 22, 2026

    Bitcoin Price Roars Towards $80,000

    August 22, 2026

    Multilingual people may have brains up to 13 years younger

    August 22, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Satirical fake Guardian front page on ‘genetic links’ between eating bacon and far-right activism shared as genuine – Full Fact

    July 28, 2026

    U.S. Foreign Policy Must Prioritize Human Rights

    July 28, 2026

    Madison revisits police body cameras after years of debate

    July 28, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    NCIJ Network is an independent digital news platform delivering trusted investigative journalism, European and global news, in-depth analysis, and fact-based reporting with accuracy, transparency, and integrity.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    You can change your Messages backgrounds on iPhone – so you never text the wrong person again

    August 22, 2026

    TikTok Agrees to $400 Million Settlement in U.S. Child Privacy Lawsuit

    August 22, 2026

    Bitcoin Price Roars Towards $80,000

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.