Close Menu
NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    What's Hot

    NASA Selects University Teams to Help Advance Aviation Research

    August 20, 2026

    Criminal probe clears Sloth World of criminal neglect in deaths of 57 animals

    August 20, 2026

    Transocean’s 16-year-old drillship lands $300M job with India’s ONGC

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • NASA Selects University Teams to Help Advance Aviation Research
    • Criminal probe clears Sloth World of criminal neglect in deaths of 57 animals
    • Transocean’s 16-year-old drillship lands $300M job with India’s ONGC
    • Sydney air traffic controllers have ‘grave concerns’ about collision risk after airspace redesign | Sydney airport
    • Italy’s migrant detention hubs in Albania undermine human rights, says Amnesty – POLITICO
    • Tice defends suspension of Reform UK activist over Farage criticism | Reform UK
    • A MAGA County’s Top Election Official Wants to Hire Election Denial Superstar Tina Peters
    • Critical Elementor Pro bug exposes WordPress sites to RCE attacks
    • About
      • Our Team
      • Editorial Policy
      • Editorial Independence
      • International Support
    • Trust & Standards
      • AI Usage Policy
      • Conflict of Interest Policy
      • Corrections Policy
      • Ethics Policy
      • Fact-Checking Policy
      • Source Protection
    • Get Involved
      • Guide for Sources
      • Support Independent Journalism
    • Legal
      • Cookie Policy
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms of Use
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Thursday, August 20
    • Home
    • World
    • Ai
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Crypto
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • Defense & Security
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Europe
    • More
      • Fact Check
      • Investigations
      • Opinion & Analysis
      • Environment
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Home»Politics

    Harry and Meghan’s security funding on UK return is private matter, Burnham says | Prince Harry

    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKBy NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKAugust 20, 2026 Politics No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Security funding for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex when they return to live in the UK this month is a “private matter”, Andy Burnham has said.

    News of Harry and Meghan’s planned return to Britain from the US came as a surprise to many on Wednesday night; King Charles was only informed three days earlier.

    Asked by reporters on a visit to West Yorkshire whether the government would establish and fund the couple’s security, the prime minister said: “Well, this is a private matter.

    “It’s a matter for Harry and for Meghan, and we wish them well in the moves that they’re making.”

    The couple moved to California in 2020 but will return to make their home in a non-royal residence outside London.

    Harry has been through a protracted legal battle with the Home Office over the security arrangements for him and his family while in the UK, after his level of protection changed when he stepped down as a working royal in 2020.

    At the end of June, he was still waiting for a review by the risk management board, part of the process by which the executive committee for the protection of royalty and public figures rules on his security requirements; and he and his private security staff were working to try to ensure a visit in July could take place safely.

    No further details about any UK security arrangements have been made public.

    The couple and their two children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are expected to relocate later in August, with the children already enrolled at a British school.

    The Sussexes had a reunion with King Charles last month at Highgrove in Gloucestershire. The king is said to welcome the opportunity to see more of his family in a personal capacity but there will be no change in their status as private individuals.

    There has been no official comment from the Sussexes.

    Prince Harry and Meghan meeting people at the Royal children’s hospital in Melbourne during a tour of Australia in April. Photograph: William West/AFP/Getty

    The Prince and Princess of Wales are said to have also been informed of the decision. Prince William remains estranged from his brother over criticism the Sussexes have aimed at him, Catherine, Charles and Camilla since their departure from the UK.

    The former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt suggested the couple’s return would have left William, the future king, “apoplectic”.

    “In the long term, the return of the Sussexes to the UK opens up the prospect of two rival courts: William’s and Harry’s. In the short term, Harry will be able to deepen his rapprochement with his father. And his presence back home will make it harder for his brother to duck a reconciliation,” Hunt told the Press Association.

    “The surprise return of Harry and Meghan is likely to have left William apoplectic.”

    It is understood Harry and Meghan will not be offered a “half-in half-out” option in terms of royal roles. That option was firmly rejected by the late Queen Elizabeth II at the so-called Sandringham summit in 2020, which thrashed out the terms of their departure from the UK and resulted in them officially stepping down as senior royals and no longer using their HRH titles.

    The Sussexes will retain their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal, and Meghan will continue to run her lifestyle brand As Ever from their new base.

    Burnham Funding Harry matter Meghans prince private return Security
    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORK
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Prince Harry and Meghan’s UK security a private matter, Burnham says

    ‘The Necessary Conversation’ Puts Family Political Arguments On Full Display

    Reverse Megxit: 5 awkward questions as Harry and Meghan plot British return – POLITICO

    OpenAI Overhauls Model Security With Sandboxing, 30-Minute Alerts, and Training Pauses

    AI will not solve cash crisis for UK councils, warn experts

    Burnham announces plans to clean up illegal waste dumps – UK politics live | Politics

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    NASA Selects University Teams to Help Advance Aviation Research

    August 20, 2026

    Criminal probe clears Sloth World of criminal neglect in deaths of 57 animals

    August 20, 2026

    Transocean’s 16-year-old drillship lands $300M job with India’s ONGC

    August 20, 2026

    Sydney air traffic controllers have ‘grave concerns’ about collision risk after airspace redesign | Sydney airport

    August 20, 2026
    Latest Posts

    New Dysphoria DDoS botnet spreads to 200k devices worldwide

    July 28, 2026

    OpenAI’s biggest threat may just be open AI

    July 28, 2026

    6 Takeaways From Michigan’s Senate Debate Between Abdul El-Sayed and Haley Stevens

    July 28, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    NCIJ Network is an independent digital news platform delivering trusted investigative journalism, European and global news, in-depth analysis, and fact-based reporting with accuracy, transparency, and integrity.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    NASA Selects University Teams to Help Advance Aviation Research

    August 20, 2026

    Criminal probe clears Sloth World of criminal neglect in deaths of 57 animals

    August 20, 2026

    Transocean’s 16-year-old drillship lands $300M job with India’s ONGC

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.