Close Menu
NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    What's Hot

    Morning Minute: Hyperliquid Is Coming to the US

    August 20, 2026

    The View from Above: The Gemini Visual Acuity Experiments

    August 20, 2026

    Safety Failures Led to Last Year’s Fatal Explosion at U.S. Steel Plant

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Morning Minute: Hyperliquid Is Coming to the US
    • The View from Above: The Gemini Visual Acuity Experiments
    • Safety Failures Led to Last Year’s Fatal Explosion at U.S. Steel Plant
    • Humans have learned to fear ‘bugs’, but we shouldn’t – life as we know it hinges on invertebrates | Chris Packham
    • Trump’s Misleading Crime Drop Claims
    • Trump’s war on Stars and Stripes: Why has military newspaper chief quit? | Freedom of the Press News
    • Harry and Meghan’s security funding on UK return is private matter, Burnham says | Prince Harry
    • Racism and sexism have become normalised in Britain, says equalities minister | Bridget Phillipson
    • About
      • Our Team
      • Editorial Policy
      • Editorial Independence
      • International Support
    • Trust & Standards
      • AI Usage Policy
      • Conflict of Interest Policy
      • Corrections Policy
      • Ethics Policy
      • Fact-Checking Policy
      • Source Protection
    • Get Involved
      • Guide for Sources
      • Support Independent Journalism
    • Legal
      • Cookie Policy
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms of Use
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Thursday, August 20
    • Home
    • World
    • Ai
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Crypto
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • Defense & Security
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Europe
    • More
      • Fact Check
      • Investigations
      • Opinion & Analysis
      • Environment
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Home»Europe

    German neo-Nazi suspected of deadly 1970 arson at Jewish retirement home

    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKBy NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKAugust 20, 2026 Europe No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    German investigators believe they have now identified an arsonist who set fire to a Jewish community centre in Munich in 1970, killing seven people.

    For decades the man’s identity remained a mystery. But Munich prosecutors now believe he was a 25-year-old lone neo-Nazi with known antisemitic opinions.

    The seven killed were all Holocaust survivors aged 59 to 71. Another 15 people were injured.

    The prosecutors’ revelations come too late to secure justice for the victims. The suspect, identified by Der Spiegel magazine as Bernd V, died in 2020.

    At about 20:40 on 13 February 1970, prosecutors say the killer poured petrol into the wooden stairwell at a retirement home housed inside the Jewish community building on Reichenbachstrasse, and then set it alight. The fire spread quickly to the top floor of the building.

    While many managed to escape to the roof or were rescued by firefighters, four of the victims died in the stairwell and another died after jumping from a window.

    Prosecutors now believe they have “compelling grounds pointing to the (deceased) suspect being the perpetrator”, based on “credible information” from a woman, who came forward last year after the death of a close relative who had known the man well.

    According to prosecutors, the suspected killer was heard to claim within the immediate vicinity of the community building that “the Jews had everything” and he wanted to “set them on fire”. Fifteen minutes later, the building was engulfed in flames.

    Authorities say those remarks have been corroborated by other members of the witness’s family. They say other witnesses described the man as having a “Hitler-fixation” – and how he had listened to records of speeches by the Nazi dictator in his youth.

    One head teacher told them the suspect had apparently used a Hitler-youth dagger, given to him by his father, during a confrontation. He was later given a juvenile conviction for blowing up two phone kiosks.

    Spiegel reports that the female witness’s relative had once been a member of a gang of burglars and that on the night of the arson attack on the retirement home they had taken part in a failed raid on a jewellery store in nearby Gärtnerplatz.

    The relative said the botched burglary had infuriated Bernd V and stirred him into an antisemitic rage.

    The investigation into the arson attack was closed in 2017 because of a lack of conclusive evidence, before being re-opened last year.

    Prosecutors say the presumption of innocence still applies, even after a suspect’s death, and they have also said there is no reliable evidence to suggest anyone else was involved in the attack.

    Fifty-six years later, German authorities are now confident they have cracked a notorious antisemitic crime.

    However, the case will quite likely be seen as a historic failure by police.

    Bernd V’s name had been brought to the attention of investigators in the early 1970s, according to Spiegel by a man who shared a prison cell with him. But they had insufficient evidence and dropped the case against him some time afterwards.

    arson deadly German home Jewish neoNazi retirement Suspected
    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORK
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    LAYING THE GROUNDWORK FOR AI-POWERED CYBERSECURITY – POLITICO

    Reverse Megxit: 5 awkward questions as Harry and Meghan plot British return – POLITICO

    81-year-old admits German cold-case murder of US tourist in 1994

    At least 13 killed in Kyiv as Ukraine grapples with air defence shortages

    AUKUS only works if Britain’s submarine town does

    Captured Ukrainian-born soldiers tell BBC why they fought for Russia

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    Morning Minute: Hyperliquid Is Coming to the US

    August 20, 2026

    The View from Above: The Gemini Visual Acuity Experiments

    August 20, 2026

    Safety Failures Led to Last Year’s Fatal Explosion at U.S. Steel Plant

    August 20, 2026

    Humans have learned to fear ‘bugs’, but we shouldn’t – life as we know it hinges on invertebrates | Chris Packham

    August 20, 2026
    Latest Posts

    New Dysphoria DDoS botnet spreads to 200k devices worldwide

    July 28, 2026

    OpenAI’s biggest threat may just be open AI

    July 28, 2026

    6 Takeaways From Michigan’s Senate Debate Between Abdul El-Sayed and Haley Stevens

    July 28, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    NCIJ Network is an independent digital news platform delivering trusted investigative journalism, European and global news, in-depth analysis, and fact-based reporting with accuracy, transparency, and integrity.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    Morning Minute: Hyperliquid Is Coming to the US

    August 20, 2026

    The View from Above: The Gemini Visual Acuity Experiments

    August 20, 2026

    Safety Failures Led to Last Year’s Fatal Explosion at U.S. Steel Plant

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.