Close Menu
NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    What's Hot

    Langdale Moor wildfire ‘overlooked’ as it was in the North – MP

    August 20, 2026

    Donald Trump announces new drive to isolate and crush Iranian economy

    August 20, 2026

    The 3 Best USB Phone Chargers (2026): Anker, DeWalt

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Langdale Moor wildfire ‘overlooked’ as it was in the North – MP
    • Donald Trump announces new drive to isolate and crush Iranian economy
    • The 3 Best USB Phone Chargers (2026): Anker, DeWalt
    • Stripe agrees to buy OpenRouter as AI model routing expands
    • OpenAI Overhauls Model Security With Sandboxing, 30-Minute Alerts, and Training Pauses
    • Bitcoin Eyes $72,000 As Crypto Short Liquidations Pass The $3 Billion Mark
    • Widely prescribed blood pressure drugs linked to 33% higher kidney risk in type 2 diabetes
    • Pressure Increases for Texas to Allow Treated Drilling Waste Into Rivers and Rangeland
    • About
      • Our Team
      • Editorial Policy
      • Editorial Independence
      • International Support
    • Trust & Standards
      • AI Usage Policy
      • Conflict of Interest Policy
      • Corrections Policy
      • Ethics Policy
      • Fact-Checking Policy
      • Source Protection
    • Get Involved
      • Guide for Sources
      • Support Independent Journalism
    • Legal
      • Cookie Policy
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms of Use
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Thursday, August 20
    • Home
    • World
    • Ai
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Crypto
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • Defense & Security
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Europe
    • More
      • Fact Check
      • Investigations
      • Opinion & Analysis
      • Environment
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Home»Europe

    81-year-old admits German cold-case murder of US tourist in 1994

    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKBy NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKAugust 20, 2026 Europe No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    A man aged 82 is facing a life sentence in prison in Germany, after going on trial and admitting to a murder that mystified the city of Koblenz for almost 32 years.

    Amy Lopez from Texas was last seen alive in September 1994, heading for Ehrenbreitstein Fortress in Koblenz while on a tour of Europe.

    Her body was found at the site two hours later.

    Hans S, who was 49 at the time, was arrested at a retirement home in the area last February after a DNA trace found on Lopez’s clothing was matched to saliva he had provided during a cold-case investigation.

    His full name has not been revealed because of German privacy rules.

    Prosecutors believe the attacker met Lopez by chance on the steep path to the fortress.

    They accuse Hans S of luring her into a secluded area beneath the fortress, known as the General von Aster room after a 19th-Century Prussian general. He is then alleged to have sexually assaulted and stabbed Lopez nine times.

    Prosecutors accuse him of murder and of “base motives to satisfy his sexual urges”.

    The court was packed for the first day of the trial on Tuesday, an indication of the notorious nature of the murder in the Koblenz area of western Germany.

    The defendant entered the courtroom with a walking frame and, after his defence counsel said he admitted carrying out the crime, the presiding judge asked him to confirm that was the case, and he said “Yes”.

    Although an expert psychiatric opinion commissioned by prosecutors considers the suspect to have been criminally responsible at the time of the crime, a final opinion will not come until the end of the trial.

    A verdict is expected early next month.

    Four years ago a trace of DNA was detected on fragments of skin found on the victim’s trousers because of improved forensic techniques.

    However, there had been little movement in the case for decades, until Koblenz authorities set up a special cold-case investigation team last year. There had been repeated appeals to the public and the case was even highlighted last year on a national TV unsolved crime show.

    Although several leads emerged from the programme, it was only when police began taking saliva samples from volunteers that they made an arrest at a residential home near Koblenz. Prosecutors spoke of a clear DNA match for one of the traces.

    Asked why Hans S had provided a sample, his lawyer told German news agency DPA that the case had “weighed heavily” on him and he had wanted closure.

    The suspect had already been convicted of a sexual offence in 1999, but police at the time did not have sufficient DNA evidence to link him to the 1994 killing.

    81yearold admits coldcase German murder tourist
    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORK
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    At least 13 killed in Kyiv as Ukraine grapples with air defence shortages

    AUKUS only works if Britain’s submarine town does

    Captured Ukrainian-born soldiers tell BBC why they fought for Russia

    Trump backed down from 50 percent tariffs on Canada. It’s not a TACO.

    Labour’s Farage donor crackdown hits a Downing Street roadblock – POLITICO

    One beneficiary of the Iran war? Pirates.

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    Langdale Moor wildfire ‘overlooked’ as it was in the North – MP

    August 20, 2026

    Donald Trump announces new drive to isolate and crush Iranian economy

    August 20, 2026

    The 3 Best USB Phone Chargers (2026): Anker, DeWalt

    August 20, 2026

    Stripe agrees to buy OpenRouter as AI model routing expands

    August 20, 2026
    Latest Posts

    DHS Official Resigns, Citing ‘War on Immigrants’

    July 27, 2026

    Police make inquiries after Farage reports Polanski post for ‘inciting murder’ | Nigel Farage

    July 27, 2026

    A Japanese town wrestles with identity after protests over its first mosque

    July 27, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    NCIJ Network is an independent digital news platform delivering trusted investigative journalism, European and global news, in-depth analysis, and fact-based reporting with accuracy, transparency, and integrity.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    Langdale Moor wildfire ‘overlooked’ as it was in the North – MP

    August 20, 2026

    Donald Trump announces new drive to isolate and crush Iranian economy

    August 20, 2026

    The 3 Best USB Phone Chargers (2026): Anker, DeWalt

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.