Close Menu
NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    What's Hot

    Critical GitLab GraphQL Flaw Could Let Unauthenticated Attackers Delete Public Projects

    August 17, 2026

    Prediction Markets Give the Fed 74% Odds of Standing Pat in September

    August 17, 2026

    NASA Selects Companies to Provide Payload Processing Services

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Critical GitLab GraphQL Flaw Could Let Unauthenticated Attackers Delete Public Projects
    • Prediction Markets Give the Fed 74% Odds of Standing Pat in September
    • NASA Selects Companies to Provide Payload Processing Services
    • The Guardian view on a vibrant summer for British athletics: inspiring a generation | Editorial
    • After the Earthquakes – The New York Times
    • The island, the letters, the loos
    • UK government ‘irresponsible’ for not publishing emergency drought plans | Drought
    • This R-Rated Film Studio Wants to Be the HBO of AI
    • About
      • Our Team
      • Editorial Policy
      • Editorial Independence
      • International Support
    • Trust & Standards
      • AI Usage Policy
      • Conflict of Interest Policy
      • Corrections Policy
      • Ethics Policy
      • Fact-Checking Policy
      • Source Protection
    • Get Involved
      • Guide for Sources
      • Support Independent Journalism
    • Legal
      • Cookie Policy
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms of Use
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Monday, August 17
    • Home
    • World
    • Ai
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Crypto
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • Defense & Security
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Europe
    • More
      • Fact Check
      • Investigations
      • Opinion & Analysis
      • Environment
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Home»Politics

    Wildfires: Phone alert was ‘entirely appropriate’, government says

    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKBy NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKAugust 17, 2026 Politics No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    A Cabinet Office press release about the alert, posted to its website at about 18:45 on Friday, was missed by many in the media, which meant there was little warning to the public.

    Some campaigners have said this potentially jeopardised domestic abuse victims trying to hide secret phones they use to seek support and try to escape abusers.

    Women’s Aid, the national charity aiming to end domestic abuse, is calling for more forewarning of alerts wherever possible.

    Veronica Oakeshott, the charity’s head of external affairs, told BBC News: “Survivors of domestic abuse frequently turn to second phones to help them access lifesaving support or flee from abuse.”

    It is vital the devices stay hidden, she said, adding: “We would urge the government to forewarn the public that alerts might be issued, when possible.”

    A government spokesperson previously said it was working closely with domestic abuse charities for tests of the system.

    It has also been reported that senior government figures were discussing whether or not to send the alert hours before, on Friday morning.

    Phil Garrigan, chair of the National Fire Chiefs Council, said on Monday he was grateful to the public for the response to the emergency alert.

    He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme his organisation had seen a decrease in the number of wildfires emergency services have responded to in the last 72 hours.

    Garrigan added that there were still four major incidents declared in Hampshire, Cambridgeshire, South Wales and the West Midlands.

    Politicians, including Reform UK’s Laura Anne Jones and Andrew RT Davies for the Conservatives, have also questioned why the emergency alert was sent to phones in Welsh before it arrived in English.

    The UK government did not comment directly, but said under the Welsh Language Act, it has to send alerts in the Welsh language first and sends alerts bilingually where possible.

    Alert government phone wildfires
    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORK
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    UK government ‘irresponsible’ for not publishing emergency drought plans | Drought

    Europe wildfires: Lecornu heckled over French emergency response

    Does Reform’s plan to cut £50bn in welfare spending add up?

    Labour MP under investigation by party over Covid loans to his businesses | Labour

    Labour MP suspended as party launches investigation into Covid loans

    Supreme Court Again Rejects Trump’s Appeal of $5 Million E. Jean Carroll Payment

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    Critical GitLab GraphQL Flaw Could Let Unauthenticated Attackers Delete Public Projects

    August 17, 2026

    Prediction Markets Give the Fed 74% Odds of Standing Pat in September

    August 17, 2026

    NASA Selects Companies to Provide Payload Processing Services

    August 17, 2026

    The Guardian view on a vibrant summer for British athletics: inspiring a generation | Editorial

    August 17, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Wisconsin’s Democratic primary for governor: a look at the 5 remaining

    July 27, 2026

    UK CO2 storage project that will reuse existing infrastructure secures lease

    July 27, 2026

    Bangladesh shipbreakers push back against stricter environmental standards

    July 27, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    NCIJ Network is an independent digital news platform delivering trusted investigative journalism, European and global news, in-depth analysis, and fact-based reporting with accuracy, transparency, and integrity.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    Critical GitLab GraphQL Flaw Could Let Unauthenticated Attackers Delete Public Projects

    August 17, 2026

    Prediction Markets Give the Fed 74% Odds of Standing Pat in September

    August 17, 2026

    NASA Selects Companies to Provide Payload Processing Services

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.