Close Menu
NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    What's Hot

    World must look to the past to prepare for likely unprecedented El Niño

    August 23, 2026

    Australia news live: shark attack victim thanks donors after ‘incredibly difficult’ recovery; second fur seal dies of suspected bird flu | Australia news

    August 23, 2026

    Trump’s Summer of Fun Ends With an IndyCar Race on the Streets of D.C.

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • World must look to the past to prepare for likely unprecedented El Niño
    • Australia news live: shark attack victim thanks donors after ‘incredibly difficult’ recovery; second fur seal dies of suspected bird flu | Australia news
    • Trump’s Summer of Fun Ends With an IndyCar Race on the Streets of D.C.
    • Trump’s Economic Approach Draws Concern From Some Republicans
    • TechCrunch Mobility: The custom chip driving Waymo’s robotaxi ambitions
    • Wall Street just poured nearly $90 million into altcoins as XRP, SOL and HYPE rip higher
    • Is this why close encounters with intelligent aliens have so far eluded us? | Alien life
    • Families release pictures of police officers killed in A66 crash in which five others died | North Yorkshire
    • About
      • Our Team
      • Editorial Policy
      • Editorial Independence
      • International Support
    • Trust & Standards
      • AI Usage Policy
      • Conflict of Interest Policy
      • Corrections Policy
      • Ethics Policy
      • Fact-Checking Policy
      • Source Protection
    • Get Involved
      • Guide for Sources
      • Support Independent Journalism
    • Legal
      • Cookie Policy
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms of Use
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Sunday, August 23
    • Home
    • World
    • Ai
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Crypto
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • Defense & Security
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Europe
    • More
      • Fact Check
      • Investigations
      • Opinion & Analysis
      • Environment
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Home»World

    Families release pictures of police officers killed in A66 crash in which five others died | North Yorkshire

    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKBy NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKAugust 23, 2026 World No Comments6 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Cleveland police have published photographs of PC Matthew Blades and PC Tom Clough who died when a car travelling the wrong way on the A66 crashed head-on into their police vehicle.

    Two 17-year-old boys were among the seven people who were killed in the incident on Teesside.

    Cole Robert Worthy, 17, Theo Rae, 17, Makai Saddington, 18, and 23-year-olds Michael Robert Cahill and Jacob Matusiak died when their Volkswagen Passat, believed to be using cloned plates, collided with a marked armed response vehicle early on Saturday near Middlesbrough.

    Blades, 37, and Clough, 38, of Cleveland police, who were also killed in the collision, had been driving in the correct direction. Tributes have been paid to the officers, with their chief constable, Victoria Fuller, describing them as “brave officers protecting our communities”.

    Clough’s family described him as “our hero with a fantastic sense of humour” and someone who “jumped into action whenever needed, and [was] willing to help anyone for any reason”.

    In a statement issued via Cleveland police, the family said Clough had “proudly fought for his country to make the world a better place. Always on public duty throughout his short life.

    “We as a family and Tom’s partner would like to express our sincere gratitude for the overwhelming support and condolences from friends, colleagues and the wider community.”

    Blades’ wife said the pain of losing him is “beyond words” and the family’s lives “will never be the same”.

    In a statement issued through the force, she said: “No words will ever feel like the right words to honour our Matt – my beloved husband, my best friend, and the most devoted father to our two young boys.

    “He was an adored son and brother, a perfect son-in-law, and the most fun uncle. He was loved beyond words by all his family and friends, and his loss has left a space that can never be filled.

    “He gave his life in the line of duty, protecting and serving others with courage, dedication and selflessness.

    “The pain of losing him is beyond words, and our lives will never be the same. Neither will the love he gave us ever fade.

    “Our children will grow up knowing what an incredible father he was and will always be, and I will carry his love, his memory and everything we shared with me always.

    “He may have left this world committed to the duty he believed in, but his greatest legacy will always be the love he gave to his family.”

    Blades’ wife, who has not been named, also expressed “deepest gratitude and heartfelt thanks” to the police and emergency services and concluded: “Forever loved. Forever missed. Forever our superhero.”

    A local football club, Seaton Carew FC, said Blades had recently joined as coach and was preparing for the season with the new under-sevens Seahawks team. “He was looking forward to being part of the team and, most importantly, to coaching his own son, who is going to be playing for the Seahawks this season,” the club said on social media.

    “Matty and his oldest son are much-loved members of our club and our U10 Lions football family. Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with Matty’s wife, his two boys, and all of his family and friends at this incredibly difficult and heartbreaking time.”

    The five young people who were killed, clockwise from top left, Jacob Matusiak, Michael Robert Cahill, Makai Saddington, Cole Worthy and Theo Rae. Composite: Facebook
    Flowers left near the scene on the A66 in South Bank, near Middlesbrough. Photograph: Richard McCarthy/PA

    The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has opened an investigation into the circumstances leading to the crash at 3.39am in South Bank after a mandatory referral from Cleveland police.

    On Sunday the IOPC said initial inquiries showed the Passat had been pursued by police for just under seven minutes before it turned on to the A66 against the flow of traffic.

    At that point the pursuit was aborted, the IOPC said. “Approximately 10 seconds later, the Passat collided with another police vehicle which was not involved in the pursuit but in the area to assist in a search for the Passat believed to be using cloned plates that had activated an ANPR camera.”

    The IOPC director of engagement, Derrick Campbell, said: “Our thoughts continue to be with the family and friends and all those affected by yesterday’s collision. We recognise the devastating impact the incident has had on those in the force, and the wider policing community, and offer our condolences.”

    On Sunday, Anna Turley, the Home Office minister and local Redcar MP, said it was “devastating” to think about the grief of the families of everyone who lost their lives on Saturday morning. The whole community was “reeling”, she said.

    “All of us in the community here are sending our heartfelt thoughts and sympathies to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives so tragically.”

    “I do want to place on record my tribute to PC Blades and PC Clough. The bravery that we see from our police officers every day, every night is incredible. No one should not come home to their families at the end of their shift.”

    She also said it was important to thank the emergency service workers who had attended the scene during “a really horrific incident”.

    Security camera footage from local houses appeared to show the police pursuit moments before the fatal crash on the A66.

    Security camera footage appears to show police pursuit minutes before fatal A66 crash

    Andy Burnham said he was “devastated” to hear two police officers had lost their lives on duty, as well as five members of the public. The prime minister said: “My thoughts are with the families and loved ones of everyone involved, and with everyone at Cleveland police. Thank you to the emergency services responding in incredibly difficult circumstances. I would urge people to avoid speculation at this time.”

    Fuller said she and her deputy had on Saturday visited the families of the two officers to offer condolences and support.

    “This is an incredibly sad day for Cleveland,” she said. “This loss is being felt across our communities, by our police family and by our partner agencies. These were brave officers, protecting our communities and serving our residents, who didn’t return home to their families at the end of their shift.”

    Cleveland police chief constable, Victoria Fuller, said it was an ‘incredibly sad day’. Photograph: Owen Humphreys/PA

    Lauren Somerville, the chair of Cleveland police federation, said the grief among officers was “all-consuming, overwhelming”. She said: “Words cannot describe the pain the Cleveland police family are feeling.”

    The Cleveland police and crime commissioner, Matt Storey, described the force as a “really tight-knit family” and said the deaths “will have a big impact on them”.

    The young men in the car were named by Cleveland police on Sunday afternoon. The force said family liaison officers were working with the families.

    This article was amended on 23 August 2026. An earlier version gave the age of Cole Robert Worthy as 16, based on initial information provided by Cleveland police. After publication, Cleveland police corrected this to 17.

    A66 crash died families killed North officers pictures police release Yorkshire
    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORK
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Australia news live: shark attack victim thanks donors after ‘incredibly difficult’ recovery; second fur seal dies of suspected bird flu | Australia news

    Syria says Israeli strike near Damascus violation of international law

    What to Know About the Ebola Outbreak Centered in Congo

    Democrats incredulous over Hakeem Jeffries and Jared Kushner meeting | Hakeem Jeffries

    DR Congo and M23 rebels agree roadmap for peace talks

    Patricio Segura, journalist who defended Patagonia’s rivers, has died of hantavirus at 54

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    World must look to the past to prepare for likely unprecedented El Niño

    August 23, 2026

    Australia news live: shark attack victim thanks donors after ‘incredibly difficult’ recovery; second fur seal dies of suspected bird flu | Australia news

    August 23, 2026

    Trump’s Summer of Fun Ends With an IndyCar Race on the Streets of D.C.

    August 23, 2026

    Trump’s Economic Approach Draws Concern From Some Republicans

    August 23, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Little Italy group, city of San Diego at ‘stalemate’ over bike lane

    July 28, 2026

    Blazing like 10 billion suns: NASA’s Swift sees a wandering black hole devouring a star

    July 28, 2026

    Apple’s App Store promoted fake Bitcoin wallet that stole $1.8M after developer spent a year warning them

    July 28, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    NCIJ Network is an independent digital news platform delivering trusted investigative journalism, European and global news, in-depth analysis, and fact-based reporting with accuracy, transparency, and integrity.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    World must look to the past to prepare for likely unprecedented El Niño

    August 23, 2026

    Australia news live: shark attack victim thanks donors after ‘incredibly difficult’ recovery; second fur seal dies of suspected bird flu | Australia news

    August 23, 2026

    Trump’s Summer of Fun Ends With an IndyCar Race on the Streets of D.C.

    August 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.