Close Menu
NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    What's Hot

    Sakura Internet hack exposes data of up to 1.36 million accounts

    August 20, 2026

    US Debt Buyback Boost Sends Bitcoin To Multimonth High Above $69,000

    August 20, 2026

    Vaping could lead to health harm in children and young people, doctors warn

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Sakura Internet hack exposes data of up to 1.36 million accounts
    • US Debt Buyback Boost Sends Bitcoin To Multimonth High Above $69,000
    • Vaping could lead to health harm in children and young people, doctors warn
    • From bone-dry to soaked to the bone, welcome to the age of climate whiplash | Aditya Chakrabortty
    • UNICEF report didn’t disprove famine in Gaza, contrary to claims
    • Erin Patterson appeal live: prosecutors seek life in prison without parole for triple murderer | Erin Patterson mushroom trial
    • Top US law firms hit by backlash over ‘crazy’ hiring of first-year students
    • Waymo’s cheaper, next-gen robotaxi is now open to all riders in these three cities
    • About
      • Our Team
      • Editorial Policy
      • Editorial Independence
      • International Support
    • Trust & Standards
      • AI Usage Policy
      • Conflict of Interest Policy
      • Corrections Policy
      • Ethics Policy
      • Fact-Checking Policy
      • Source Protection
    • Get Involved
      • Guide for Sources
      • Support Independent Journalism
    • Legal
      • Cookie Policy
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms of Use
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Thursday, August 20
    • Home
    • World
    • Ai
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Crypto
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • Defense & Security
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Europe
    • More
      • Fact Check
      • Investigations
      • Opinion & Analysis
      • Environment
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Home»Economy

    North Korea dismisses Donald Trump’s overture

    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKBy NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKAugust 20, 2026 Economy No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for free

    Your guide to what Trump’s second term means for Washington, business and the world

    North Korea has dismissed Donald Trump’s decision to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea and cast doubt on the US president’s claim that there had been communication between Pyongyang and Washington.

    Kim Yo Jong, the sister of leader Kim Jong Un who sometimes speaks on his behalf, said in a statement late on Wednesday evening that the reduction of the joint exercises was “not even worth commenting on” and cutting their size or duration did not change their “provocative and aggressive” nature.

    If the US saw the move “as some kind of ‘goodwill measure’, they will not get the answer they desire”, she said.

    Kim also cast doubt on Trump’s claim that he and her brother had been in recent contact, saying she was “completely unaware” of any such communication.

    But she said Kim Jong Un had “fond personal memories and feelings” towards Trump and that relations between the two leaders remained “excellent”.

    Ulchi Freedom Shield is one of two major annual exercises conducted by South Korea and the US and is intended to prepare their forces for potential conflict with North Korea, which has long denounced the drills as rehearsals for an invasion.

    After Trump intervened on Monday, describing the exercises as “inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, Seoul announced they would end on Friday, six days earlier than planned.

    Trump is seeking to revive the personal diplomacy of his first term, when he met the North Korean leader three times in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to secure the country’s denuclearisation. He has said he expects to meet Kim again and has reportedly been urging aides to arrange a summit by autumn.

    Kim Yo Jong’s response to Trump’s overture, “though negative, is displaying some re-engagement which has been absent up until now”, said Victor Cha, Korea chair at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. Cha also noted it was her typical role to play “bad cop” to her brother’s “good cop” when dealing with the US.

    “It is difficult to interpret this announcement as a rejection of US-North Korea dialogue itself,” said Choi Eunju of the Sejong Institute. Pyongyang was maintaining its demand for a change in US policy while “leaving the personal relationship between the leaders as a separate channel that could be used in the future”, she added.

    Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi, visiting Seoul on Wednesday, said a potential summit between the US and North Korea was a matter for the two countries, but that Washington “must change its longstanding hostile policy toward North Korea”.

    Any renewed summitry would take place with North Korea in a stronger position than during Trump’s first term.

    On Wednesday, Trump himself acknowledged this, telling reporters North Korea now had “57 very powerful nuclear weapons”. Pyongyang has also expanded its conventional arsenal and formed a strategic alliance with Russia, sending troops and weapons to support Vladimir Putin’s war in Ukraine in return for cash and military technology.

    In her statement, Kim Yo Jong referenced Russia five times and said her country “fully supports the just actions” of Moscow in Ukraine. She also rejected as “entirely baseless” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s claim that Pyongyang was preparing to send another 50,000 troops to support Russia. 

    Recommended

    Choi of the Sejong Institute said: “The message is that the US also needs to take into account the changed international environment and North Korea’s strategic position compared with 2018-19.”

    Just two hours after Kim Yo Jong’s statement, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung took a more optimistic tone in a post on X.

    Despite the criticism of Seoul in Trump’s announcement, Lee said Trump’s move “feels like a momentous decision born out of deep deliberation to move beyond hostility and confrontation towards building peace on the Korean Peninsula”. He added he hoped it would “lead to the resumption of dialogue and ultimately bring about a stable peace regime”.

    dismisses Donald Korea North overture Trumps
    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORK
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Top US law firms hit by backlash over ‘crazy’ hiring of first-year students

    North Korean Official Dismisses Reduced Drills Between US and South Korea

    Trump says he will meet North Korea’s Kim Jong Un later this year

    Publisher of US military newspaper resigns over differences with government | Donald Trump News

    US Treasury to boost long-term bond purchases in bid to steady market

    Aker BP bulks up North Sea and Norwegian Sea oil arsenal, targets tie-back growth with twin discovery deals

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    Sakura Internet hack exposes data of up to 1.36 million accounts

    August 20, 2026

    US Debt Buyback Boost Sends Bitcoin To Multimonth High Above $69,000

    August 20, 2026

    Vaping could lead to health harm in children and young people, doctors warn

    August 20, 2026

    From bone-dry to soaked to the bone, welcome to the age of climate whiplash | Aditya Chakrabortty

    August 20, 2026
    Latest Posts

    DHS Official Resigns, Citing ‘War on Immigrants’

    July 27, 2026

    Police make inquiries after Farage reports Polanski post for ‘inciting murder’ | Nigel Farage

    July 27, 2026

    A Japanese town wrestles with identity after protests over its first mosque

    July 27, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    NCIJ Network is an independent digital news platform delivering trusted investigative journalism, European and global news, in-depth analysis, and fact-based reporting with accuracy, transparency, and integrity.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    Sakura Internet hack exposes data of up to 1.36 million accounts

    August 20, 2026

    US Debt Buyback Boost Sends Bitcoin To Multimonth High Above $69,000

    August 20, 2026

    Vaping could lead to health harm in children and young people, doctors warn

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.