Close Menu
NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    What's Hot

    After the Earthquakes – The New York Times

    August 17, 2026

    The island, the letters, the loos

    August 17, 2026

    UK government ‘irresponsible’ for not publishing emergency drought plans | Drought

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • After the Earthquakes – The New York Times
    • The island, the letters, the loos
    • UK government ‘irresponsible’ for not publishing emergency drought plans | Drought
    • This R-Rated Film Studio Wants to Be the HBO of AI
    • MiniMax Releases MiniMax-Music3: An Open-Weights Music Model Generating Complete Five-Minute Songs From Lyrics and a Structured Caption
    • Critical SAP Commerce Cloud Vulnerability Exploited 3 Days After Disclosure
    • Bybit Brazil deadline: Liquidations start Sept. 21
    • Caltech breakthrough brings fiber-optic performance to silicon chips
    • About
      • Our Team
      • Editorial Policy
      • Editorial Independence
      • International Support
    • Trust & Standards
      • AI Usage Policy
      • Conflict of Interest Policy
      • Corrections Policy
      • Ethics Policy
      • Fact-Checking Policy
      • Source Protection
    • Get Involved
      • Guide for Sources
      • Support Independent Journalism
    • Legal
      • Cookie Policy
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms of Use
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Monday, August 17
    • Home
    • World
    • Ai
    • Business
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Crypto
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • Defense & Security
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Europe
    • More
      • Fact Check
      • Investigations
      • Opinion & Analysis
      • Environment
    NCIJ Network NCIJ Network
    Home»Europe

    Europe wildfires: Lecornu heckled over French emergency response

    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKBy NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORKAugust 17, 2026 Europe No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu has been heckled on a visit to the area of the country worst hit by wildfires, as blazes continue to cause further deaths and evacuations across Europe.

    About 200 people gathered at the town hall in Le Porge, south-western France, on Monday, where 183 homes burned down.

    The organiser of a group of affected residents accused the prime minister of not wanting to meet them, while Lecornu’s office it has “nothing to hide” about how fire operations have been conducted, AFP reports.

    The prime minister announced €12m (£10.3m) of aid for the Gironde and Landes regions, while the EU deployed assistance to Belgium and Spain.

    Lecornu said the aid, of which €10m (£8.5m) will go to Gironde and €2m (£1.7m) to Landes, will allow local authorities to “launch projects without delay” and build “a sort of recovery plan”. He also announced building permits for the “equivalent reconstruction” of homes destroyed by the fires would be issued within a month, or even quicker.

    Ludivine Daurignac, the organiser of the residents’ group, told the news agency the residents plan to file complaints to get “truth, transparency, and justice” and claimed they were blocked from meeting with the prime minister.

    She said: “We were met by lines of riot police blocking our access.”

    Another local told France’s BFM outlet: “We would like to know why the fire was managed this way. Why all the firefighters who were on site left to defend the tip of Ferret, while only the volunteer firefighters remained.”

    Tens of thousands of people were evacuated from the Cap Ferret peninsula tourist spot west of Bordeaux last month as wildfires were spreading across Gironde.

    Firefighters throughout the rest of Europe have been facing a series of blazes over the weekend, including officers in Belgium spending a fourth day beating back flames in the country’s largest nature reserve Hautes Fagnes.

    emergency Europe French heckled Lecornu Response wildfires
    NCIJ NETWNCIJ NETWORK
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    The island, the letters, the loos

    UK government ‘irresponsible’ for not publishing emergency drought plans | Drought

    Wildfires: Phone alert was ‘entirely appropriate’, government says

    Russia’s prominent anti-war politician jailed for 11 years

    Ukraine urges EU sanctions on Rosatom over allegations of nuclear safety violations – POLITICO

    680,000 Impacted by French Tax Authority Data Breach

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    After the Earthquakes – The New York Times

    August 17, 2026

    The island, the letters, the loos

    August 17, 2026

    UK government ‘irresponsible’ for not publishing emergency drought plans | Drought

    August 17, 2026

    This R-Rated Film Studio Wants to Be the HBO of AI

    August 17, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Wisconsin’s Democratic primary for governor: a look at the 5 remaining

    July 27, 2026

    UK CO2 storage project that will reuse existing infrastructure secures lease

    July 27, 2026

    Bangladesh shipbreakers push back against stricter environmental standards

    July 27, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    NCIJ Network is an independent digital news platform delivering trusted investigative journalism, European and global news, in-depth analysis, and fact-based reporting with accuracy, transparency, and integrity.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    After the Earthquakes – The New York Times

    August 17, 2026

    The island, the letters, the loos

    August 17, 2026

    UK government ‘irresponsible’ for not publishing emergency drought plans | Drought

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.